After doing hours of research, we have concluded that naturally, silkworms are actually one of the healthiest insects you can offer to your reptiles. Just like Horn Worms, these feeders have a very low fat content. Silkworms are a high source of Calcium, Protein, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium, and Vitamins B1, B2, and B3. Reptiles love the way they look and taste! In our own collection, we prefer silkworms when it comes to feeding our gravid or underweight reptiles. Silkworms help gravid females produce strong, fully calcified, and healthy eggs, and they also help in adding weight to underweight reptiles in a “nutritious” way. Here a few more reasons why we recommend silkworms.
- No odor or annoying sounds like crickets…
- Entices picky reptiles to eat.
- Can be used as a treat or a stable feeder.
- They have soft bodies, so they are very easy for your animal to eat.
- They are slow moving, cannot jump, and will not bite.
An adult silkworm can be 8-10x the weight of a cricket, so it takes much less of them to fill up your pets, and they helps build healthy fat on your reptiles.